Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How Could This Happen?

Today ESPN.com ran a story about unsold tickets for the 2010 World Cup. I initially thought, “Oh, there are probably a couple hundred left. They’re sure to sell out in no time.” But then I saw the number. 650,000. Those are 650,000 opportunities to see the game of soccer played at the highest level possible. I just can’t believe that the pinnacle event of soccer, one that only presents itself every four years, would not have sold out days after opening.

I’m sure there are all sorts of reasons that this World Cup could become the first to not sell out: a slipping global economy, a fairly remote location resulting in long travel times, etc. Look, all of those are valid points but not valid enough. Soccer is the most popular game on the planet. It would be a global travesty if every seat were not filled come summertime in South Africa.

Now I realize that I am complaining about unsold tickets while I have not bought one. Hypocritical, right? That is why, as of right now, I am taking any and all donations to help send me to South Africa and cut into those 650,000 unsold tickets. Come on, I’m a college student. I can’t be expected to do this on my own.


Image courtesy of nathangibbs

Subscribe to my Podcast (iTunes)
Subscribe to my Podcast (RSS Feed)

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

No comments:

Post a Comment